First Aid for poisoning

First Aid for poisoning

Poisoning can occur in two ways; you are directly exposed to the toxin, or you accidentally ingest it through food or drink that has been poisoned. If someone you know has ingested poison, there are some simple steps you can take to help them feel better and prevent further poisoning, depending on the type of poison they have ingested and the severity of their symptoms. Check out this article from eHow on first aid for poisoning to learn more about what to do in either situation.

Knowing how do First Aid for poisoning to someone who has taken poison can be extremely important, especially if the person has ingested something extremely toxic. If you ever find yourself in this situation, here are some steps you can take to get the person’s medical attention as quickly as possible while also doing your best to make them comfortable until then.

Don’t Panic

First, try to remain calm. Most often when people get poisoned, it’s not as serious as it might seem. Often, a simple trip to your doctor can quickly remedy a minor case of poisoning; however, there are some poisons that require immediate medical attention. In these cases, it’s best to call an ambulance right away or seek out other help immediately.

If it seems like a serious emergency, it probably is. If you’re not sure what to do, call an ambulance immediately.  Don’t delay! The experts there can tell you what to do—which could mean a big difference in whether or not your loved one survives and recovers. The key here is don’t panic!

Identify The Poison

If you don’t know what kind of poison it is, seek medical attention immediately. Identifying a substance doesn’t mean much without knowing how to treat it.

Knowing what kind of poison a person has ingested can help you determine exactly how to treat it. However, most poisons are pretty easy to identify. The most common kinds of poisons used by humans are: methanol, ethylene glycol, acetaminophen, and salicylates—ingesting any of these substances can be fatal to your body in large quantities.

Try To Determine How Much Was Taken

Remember, time is of the essence when it comes to treating poisoning. First, try to determine how much of whatever was ingested and what type of exposure occurred—skin contact? Swallowing? Inhalation?

This will help determine what treatments and antidotes to administer in order to get rid of the toxic substance as quickly as possible. Assess Vital Signs: Monitor your patient’s vital signs, including blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respirations, and level of consciousness. Administer CPR: If your patient is unresponsive and not breathing on his or her own, administer CPR while waiting for emergency medical services (EMS) to arrive.

Call An Ambulance

Getting emergency help is an important first step when helping a person who’s been poisoned. In most cases, however, it isn’t necessary to call an ambulance. It’s helpful to learn how to administer First Aid for poisoning in these situations so that you can provide comfort until medical help arrives. First aid steps vary depending on what kind of substance was ingested, but they usually include administering a laxative and/or removing any unabsorbed poison from your body by inducing vomiting or performing gastric lavage.

If you’re certain that your friend or a family member has consumed some type of poison, it’s vital to call an ambulance right away. Not only will it speed up their arrival, but also allows them to be administered whatever treatments they need sooner rather than later. And while it may seem like a good idea to treat them yourself in an effort to try and save their life, don’t give any of these poisons internally! This could lead to more severe consequences and even death.

Do Not Induce Vomiting

If a person has ingested poison, don’t induce vomiting. It will not make them better faster and can lead to complications. Instead, call the emergency or your local emergency number and tell them what substance was taken and how much. The key here is not to guess how much time has passed since ingestion occurred: medical professionals need accurate information about what was swallowed (by its brand name) and in what quantity.

If you suspect that your loved one has swallowed something poisonous, call emergency immediately and seek emergency help. Do not induce vomiting; it will make things worse. Do not give any liquids to drink because he or she may choke on vomit.

Stay With The Person Until Medical Help Arrives

If it is safe to do so, stay with them until emergency medical help arrives. Be sure to remain calm and keep them calm. If they are breathing normally, roll them on their side and check that they are breathing regularly. If they lose consciousness, try and make sure their airway is clear of any foreign objects that may be obstructing breathing. If your first aid kit includes a suction pump or mouth-to-mouth resuscitation device, use it now!

If they are unconscious or vomiting, it’s important that they don’t choke on their own vomit and that they remain flat on their back. Moving them around will only increase their risk of death. Make sure to also call emergency right away as well; it’s crucial to get medical attention as soon as possible after ingestion.

Make the Environment Safe

If a person is unconscious, he may choke on his vomit and/or breathe it in. Clear an area around him and have him lie on his side to keep his airways clear. If he’s nauseated or vomiting, have him lean forward so that vomit doesn’t get into his mouth or nose.

Get help immediately. Do not try to give him or her anything to eat or drink. Make sure you have a way to call the emergency line, just in case.

Call Emergency/ Ambulance

If possible, contact emergency services before attempting to administer First Aid for poisoning. If you don’t have access to emergency services (if there is no cell service or landline, for example), call emergency medical services as soon as it is safe to do so. They will direct your actions and make sure that a professional is administering treatment. The sooner emergency help arrives, the better chance there is of saving a life.

If it’s not an emergency, but you still think your friend or family member might have ingested a dangerous substance, call the emergency line in your country. The operator will know how to proceed. Emergency responders carry antidotes and other medications that can save lives—they’re professionals, and they also have equipment at their disposal that would be difficult to transport on a bike ride or subway commute. Still, first aid for poisoning involves more than calling emergence. Following our next tip may help.

Keep Them Still and At Rest Until Help Arrives

If someone has swallowed a potentially poisonous substance, call Poison Control. Don’t try to induce vomiting unless specifically instructed to by Poison Control or a medical professional. If an ambulance isn’t available right away, keep that person lying still and resting as much as possible until emergency help arrives. Loosen any tight clothing around their neck or waist. Remove everything from their mouth—that includes food or drink.

Before moving a person who may have ingested something poisonous, it’s best to keep them still and at rest. Ingesting a toxic substance can cause symptoms like seizures, vomiting, or even heart failure—so it’s best to let medical professionals know as soon as possible if you suspect that someone has poisoned themselves.

Tabitha Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.
Tabitha Administrator
Sorry! The Author has not filled his profile.

Comment here